Oxbury New Gen
Why create a scheme for new entrants?
One of the major barriers for young people entering the industry is access to finance. Oxbury will change this traditional approach from banks and help new farmers take the opportunities they are committed to.
Oxbury will support a new generation! Oxbury New Gen will fund your venture and potentially provide you with the help and backing from agriculture expert to ensure you get the best chance for success (depending on business requirement).
- Funding – Oxbury will provide up to 100% of the financing required - depending on the business plan the applicant may not need to input any finance themselves
- Business and financial advice – paid for by Oxbury and provided through a panel of independent national and regional farm advisory services to help create, and then track the delivery and progress of the business plan
If you have any questions before submitting your application, then please email SAM@oxbury.com. Before contacting us, you can check eligibility criteria and examples of what we can fund in the sections below.
Some examples of what Oxbury New Gen can fund
- Buying into an existing partnership or sole trader business
- Purchasing livestock
- Funding infrastructure improvements or infrastructure purchases
- Funding machinery purchases
- Purchasing initial inputs
- Purchasing land and buildings
- Living costs while getting the business started.
- Tenants' capital and initial farm rental payments
Am I eligible?
- You must be a new business set up within the last three years
- Your proposed business plan must have agriculture as the core business activity
- You must be between the ages of 18 – 40 at the time of application
- You must have relevant practical experience working in the agricultural sector
- You must not be earning an economic wage from your own farm
Overview of the application process:
Stage 1: Online application to assess the eligibility for funding
- Complete an online application form
- After initial checks Oxbury will ask you to submit your CV and a cashflow statement to support your funding requirement
- You will be assigned to an Oxbury Relationship Manager
Within 1-2 weeks Oxbury will confirm your eligibility to progress to the next stage.
Stage 2: Interview
- You will be invited to attend a virtual interview to present your business proposal, financial assumptions, and answer questions.
- Presentations should last for 20-minutes, allowing an additional 10 minutes for questions.
Within 1-5 weeks Oxbury will confirm your eligibility to progress to the next stage.
Stage 3: Final business plan approval
- At this stage your assigned Oxbury Relationship Manager will work with you to finalise your full business proposal and support you through the funding application process.
This stage will take no longer than 12 weeks
At each stage of the application process you will receive feedback to explain the decision
The average age of a British farmer is fifty-nine and rising! The biggest barrier to young people entering the industry and hoping to build their own business is access to finance. Oxbury are addressing this head on. It will no doubt give a boost and have a long-term impact to the agricultural industry as a whole.
Through the application process, the following information is required
- Personal details
- Overview of your business proposal (this would contain a maximum of 400 words)
- Key risks to your proposal (a maximum of 200 words)
- Your key strengths and why we should support you (a maximum of 400 words)
- Your ambition for the business for the next 20 years (a maximum of 200 words)
- Details of your practical experience within farming (a maximum of 200 words)
- Details of how you plan to meet environmental, climate and sustainability requirements (a maximum of 200 words) - For example:
- using energy efficient machinery or equipment
- using renewable energy sources
- contributing to 'Net Zero' carbon targets
After you have filled in your online application, we will then contact you to provide a copy of your:
- CV (PDF or MS Word)
- Cashflow statement
Please select the link to download your cashflow template
- You should only submit one online application for your business proposal
- You can withdraw your application at any time, but you must let us know
If you have any questions before submitting your application, then please email SAM@oxbury.com. Before contacting us, you can check eligibility criteria and examples of what we can fund in the sections above.
For Welsh applicants only:
- Farming Connect - Start to Farm
Start to Farm - Farming Connect can match farmers and landowners who are looking to step back from the industry with new entrants looking for a way into farming. It guides people on both sides through the key steps required to find a potential business partner. The package of support offers a matching service, mentoring, business planning and legal advice to provide guidance at every stage of establishing a joint venture.
- Farming Connect - Mentoring
Mentoring - Farming Connect has a team of mentors who will be able to support and challenge their peers on a wide range of topics. The mentoring programme is targeted at farmers and foresters of every age and business status, including new entrants. Farming Connect Mentors have ‘been there, done that’ and can develop relationships based on mutual trust and respect. They will be able to share their knowledge, experience, and impartial views to help you identify your goals and fulfil your potential.